Estrada da Ribeira de São Silvestre, n.10, Chão da Serra, 2240-334 Ferreira do Zêzere, Portugal
AVIÁRIO STUDIO LARGE FORMAT PRINTMAKING RESIDENCY – SUMMER/FALL 2023
Applications Deadline: 7/May/2023 – Online application – No application fee –
Residencies will take place from June 1st till October 15th, 2023.
Duration: 2 weeks – 3 months
An art residency provides the technical conditions, time, and space to develop ideas and try new approaches. It is a moment that promotes connection between artists from different backgrounds and consequently the exchange of knowledge and experiences.
Aviário Studio Large Format Printmaking Residency aims to promote the production and dissemination of Printmaking done in a large format. Artists can develop projects using a wide range of techniques, from relief to intaglio, screen printing, transfer, monotype, among others.
Specific Equipments available:
– Cutting Table 240 x 140 cm/94,49 x 55,12 in
– Paper Guillotine 80 cm/31,5 in
– Metal Guillotine 100 cm/39,37 in
– Polymetaal Press 260 x 140 cm/102,36 x 55,12 in
– Reig Press 100 x 60 cm/39,37 x 23,62 in
– UV Light Exposure Unit 150 x 120 cm/59,06 x 47,24 n
– 2 Drying Racks
– Screen Printing Tables
– Glass tables for inking
Studio Information: Aviário Studio is a creative playground in the countryside, right in the middle of Portugal. The building is a renovated aviary immersed in nature and just 2 km/1,24 mi away from Ferreira do Zêzere town, and 6 km/3,73 mi away from the river Zêzere.
The studios have 6 rooms in total:
– 1 common area with kitchen and 3 toilets (one adapted for people with reduced mobility)
– 4 workshops:
2 are equipped to work image: silkscreen, printmaking, digital work, drawing and bookbinding
2 are equipped to work object: wood, metal and ceramics
– 1 room for the development of projects with irregular dimensions and/or materials
– large area of outside space
Accommodation: Artists will be hosted in a shared house in the center of Ferreira do Zêzere, 2 km/1,24 mi away from Aviário Studio. The house is on the ground floor, has three double bedrooms, a living room, a bathroom and a toilet, a full-equipped kitchen, and some outside space. Each artist has clean sheets and towels each week. There is wi-fi in the house. There are four bicycles to share. Every weekday there is a ride from the house to the studio at 9 a.m. and a ride back to the home from the studio at 6 p.m.
What is not included:
- cleaning service during the stay (paid service under request)
Outcome of the residency: For residencies that are longer than one month, there will be an exhibition with all the works resulting from the residency. The exhibition will happen on the last Saturday of the residency at the Cultural Center of Ferreira do Zêzere. We are open to discuss the possibilities for participating artists to give a workshop, have a presentation, or other kind of event.
2 weeks – 540 €
3 weeks – 790 €
4 weeks/1 month – 1040 €
5 weeks – 1290 €
6 weeks – 1540 €
7 weeks – 1790 €
8 weeks/2 months – 2040 €
9 weeks – 2290 €
10 weeks – 2540 €
11 weeks – 2790 €
12 weeks/3 months – 3040 €
– accommodation in a shared house,
– studio access during opening hours (Mon.-Fri. from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
– technical assistance
– weekly project discussion
– exhibition for residencies lasting 1 month or more
- Artists have to make sure when applying that they are able to cover the costs of the AIR fee, travel, materials and food and other personal expenses.
- Artists must be over 21 years at the time of the arrival.
Send the following information to [email protected]
– Full Name
– Email Address
– Phone Number
– Birth Date
– Brief description of your project
– Summarized Work Plan for the duration of the residency
– List of equipments/tools needed